Monday, April 21, 2008

What I SHOULD be doing is...

Listening in class.

But I'm not. I've tried. For serious. But when I get here and everyone starts talking, something happens. I bet you're dying to know what I'm talking about. I can feel it, no -- that doesn't say enough. I can TASTE that you want to know what I mean.

Here it is.

They open their mouths...I turn off my brain. 

I'm not sure how or when it started happening, but I think it prrrrobably happened when I began to realize that a lot of the talking is actually absolutely irrelevant. And that's a big problem for me. Thus, I do other things. Write, think about stuff I want to buy, worry about how much debt I'm in, contemplate politics, wish I played an instrument, think about how I could be home sitting in front of the TV and learning just as much as I am in here with my brain shut off and my fingers clacking on the keyboard with little regard for whether or not I look like I'm paying attention.

Now I pause, take a drink of water, continue to look filled with nothing but disinterest.

I really did that, by the way. It wasn't a little fictional input. Just if you cared. I decided that you might. I just gave you insight. Personal insight. How cool is that?

Here's the thing. We get to class, sit down, 'mingle' a little (or, in my case, criticize those who actually ARE mingling and judge them harshly and with little to no remorse. Which, I admit, isn't completely fair. I mean, I don't like to be judged, but that Golden Rule thing finds itself lost on me when I'm sitting in this class. That and I'm fairly certain that they too look at me sitting in the corner, clacking on my keyboard, and think "Gee, what a stuck up girl she is! She's not even paying attention!"). THEN we talk about writing news.

I like writing news. Really, and I'm not meaning to be sarcastic. Last semester, I really enjoyed the writing news portion of our class.

BUT.

In this class, it seems like writing news = anything you want to talk about. Including, but not limited to, movies, TV shows, politics, personal opinions, "my first chapter", and LASIK.

Lasik?? = Creative WRITING?

Yeah, so call me a cynic.

It's true.

And now, unfortunately, my laptop is nearing the end of it's battery-life. So it looks like my insensitive disinterested clacking has come to a premature end.

That's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you should have been doing was passing me notes. So I wouldn't have been forced into looking interested in which shapes their mouths were making. But alas, you did not. Here's to a better day today. The last week of random nothingness.