Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015, is it goodbye already?

Here we are, it's New Year's Eve and once again I've been mostly quiet this year on my blog. Sure, I could lament about the rut again (but haven't I already?) or waste a paragraph making excuses but that's not fun and New Year's Eve is supposed to be fun, so I'm skipping that bit in lieu of the good stuff, or at least the stuff worth talking about. 

I should start by confessing that, upon deciding I wanted to do one last post before 2016 officially arrives, I spent the better part of an hour cycling through passwords and searching for any jotted memo because I could not for the life of me remember my password and get myself logged in. So there's that, I mean if there was any shred of hope I had of tricking myself into thinking it hasn't been far too long, it sailed right out the window with that little hiccup. But, after giving up on figuring out the old password and resetting, here we are. Together again. How sweet it is.

It's been a crazy year. A wonderful, hectic, frustrating, painful, glorious, fabulous year. I've been busier than ever and I've grown a lot, I got to travel several times this year, to some really great places. I made sure to pack my schedule. I've come out of my shell a lot, I've made a solid handful of changes personally, professionally, spiritually. It's been a ride, for sure. Somewhere in the middle/end of the year, I began to realize that a lot of things that I thought I found fulfillment in had actually become a stress. I had spent so much time piling things on that I overextended myself. I promised too much and I overcommitted and I burned out.

I've talked in years past about making changes, but this year I can finally and enthusiastically say I have put my money where my mouth is. I've made tangible, literal, actual movement in a direction. Any direction. I've learned, and am continuing to learn to let go of things that don't bring me joy and put my efforts and energy into things I'm passionate about. I'm going to be selfish with my time—that is to say, I'm making myself a priority and I'm getting involved with things I think will better me personally. And I'm taking a step back from things that aren't moving me forward.

So I guess this can count as a post about resolutions, about life changes and all that. It's kind of scary. Financially, it's a risk. But if these last few years have taught me nothing else, it's that letting yourself get stagnant for fear of discomfort, or failure, or change can be just as big a mistake as any mistake you might actually make. 

First and foremost on my list is writing. Which, if you couldn't tell from the last sentence of the previous paragraph, I'm a little rusty at. With writing comes reading. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. More on that later. I haven't been this excited going in to a new year in a long time. I truly cannot wait to see where I'm lead next.

So cheers, 2015. You've been a lot of things to me, you've meant a lot of things to me, and I am so grateful. 2016, I have a feeling we will be fast friends.

Once again, thanks to all of you who still pop in and visit once in awhile. I know I haven't had much to offer this year, but I still appreciate you all very much. Looking forward to meeting y'all back here again soon. 

Happy New Year!

No comments: