Thursday, September 18, 2008

I am Pro-Life. You have been warned.

I recently read a blog by I-Don't-Remember-Who (I think possibly Perez Hilton, go figure) who described Sarah Palin, Governor of Alaska and VP running mate for McCain, as an Anti-Choice, Anti-Gay person. "Must mean she's against anything fun," the blogger stated. I don't actually mean to get on a soap-box, but you'll have to excuse me as I find Anti-Choice to be a very bias way to say "Pro-Life", and Pro-Life is definitely something that I am. And that is very close to me.

I am Pro-Life because, as someone who was adopted, I find it personally offensive that anyone would want to make a law that says because I wasn't planned, my birth mother has the right to decide for me that my life is inconsequential, especially if it's inconvenient for her. I find it personally offensive that people want it to be alright for her to see me as a glitch, a road bump, an obstacle, a punishment (Thank you very much, Senator Obama), a mistake, an unwanted and unacceptable result of her otherwise enjoyable sex life.

I am Pro-Life because if my mother had decided that I wasn't of any value, that I was just a fetus - not a person - and gotten an abortion, I would never have been born. I would never have had the chance to be raised by my wonderful adoptive parents, never made any of the amazing friends I have, seen any of the incredible things that this world has to offer. I never would have gone to school, gotten an education, worked, grown up, walked, talked, breathed, lived. She would have effectively caused me to "never exist".

What really stood out to me about that little article, if you want to call it that, is the twisting and perverting of "Pro-Life" into a negative form, "Anti-Choice". 

Anti-Choice? Instead of Pro-Life? Why would anyone skew it that way and make it so negative? Why isn't it okay for me to be Pro-Life? I have my beliefs and you, whoever you may be, are more than welcome to your own. But to take a stance and twist the words to make it negative just because it's not what you think is pretty low, I don't care who you are. I'm Pro-Life, but I don't call you Anti-Life. How much worse than "Pro-Choice" does Anti-LIFE sound? Think about it. Instead of "I'm for women having the right to choose," now it's, "I'm for women having the right to kill their child."

But if you want to do it that way, then fine. I'll play that game. The putting-words-in-your-mouth game. How about instead of Pro-Choice, we call it Pro the-baby's-inconvenient-so-get-rid-of-it? Or Pro- if-we-say-it's-not-a-person-we-don't-feel-so-bad-for-destroying-it?

Would we deny that a seed is, for all intensive purposes, a very small tree? Just because it's a seed, does it not have the guaranteed potential to become just what it was made to; a tree? Why is it that we throw the term "fetus" in, and toss the word "baby" out and suddenly it's not a little person anymore?

Does it make any sense that if a woman volunteers to get an abortion, it's perfectly acceptable, but if a person murders a woman who is with child they can be charged for two counts of murder?

Either it's okay to destroy the child, or it's not. Either the woman getting an abortion is murdering just the same as the person who kills the woman and unborn child, or that person shouldn't be charged with TWO counts of murder because it doesn't matter that she was pregnant - it's not actually a person with rights until birth.

We just want to feel good about the things we want. We don't think it's acceptable to call it a baby if that's going to make the mother feel like a killer instead of a woman excercising her right to choose. But if it means sealing the deal for a murderer, then sure, babies have rights!

The hypocrisy of it boggles my  mind.

I'll get off that soapbox now.

No comments: